Monday, February 19, 2007

My February Project

In recent months, I've been so preoccupied with building my website, revamping it and promoting my work that I've actually neglected painting! Who knew time could fly so fast? In keeping with my temperamental nature (see Jan 2007 post) I went from no painting to wanting to do something new, exciting and big -- a mural!

The last mural I completed was the largest project I'd single-handedly taken on. That was a learn-as-you-go kind of project, which is a better way to say that I didn't know what I was doing. It was based on a gorgeous bathroom I saw online. "Outdoor Pathway", (to the left) a 57x74 mural on canvas, took about three weeks. While I'm not totally happy the results, I am content. I may do it over someday, but for now, well...I'm still a little proud of my accomplishment.

The location I decided for this latest undertaking is my mom's bathroom. It was decided over a year ago that it would be updated, so this was the perfect opportunity. Now what to paint? The mural had to be balanced with the decor of the bedroom, which definitely has a European feel, so I focused on paintings by European artists. My mom also appreciates scenes found in toile fabric. Jean Honore Fragonard was my ultimate choice. I'm more prepared for this project. I've read books, practiced techniques, searched forums and studied nature itself. And you know what? I'm happy with it...so far.

1 comment:

  1. It's so important to continue to be inspired by the art of other masters from years past. You can take these experiences and visions and integrate them into your own style. This is so important so that you don't feel stagnant. Nice work! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete