Monday, November 13, 2006

My Dad

The women in my family are all fans of Jane Austen. We've read every book and/or seen every movie based on one of her novels. I noticed that in each production, and other period piece films, that there was always a scene in "the gallery", a room where all of the portraits of the homeowners' ancestors were on display. What a fantastic idea!! For the most part, paintings like this were largely forgotten, but I thought it might be interesting if my family had a gallery of our own based in the 19th century.

In all of my artistic endeavors, my dad was my biggest critic. He readily pointed out where I made mistakes, guided me when I reached a creative roadblock, but praised me when I did a job well. At first, he was a little skeptical when I told him my idea (at the time we had 11 people in the immediate family), but I talked him around. Needless to say, I wasn't too eager to paint his portrait when the time came.

My dad passed away earlier this month. My family and I miss him terribly, but we appreciate the stories, kind words, thoughts and prayers we've been receiving...it eases the pain a little to know so many people care. I will think about my dad every day, especially when I see the last portrait that he critiqued: it was of him. I'm glad he was pleased with it. For more information, please check out my brother Ulysses's blog.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:14 PM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:44 PM

    Nichole,
    What a great website!! I am so glad that now I'll be able to view your artwork on a regular basis! Looking at your work helps me to get to know you better, and I am very honored to be related to you! You are a very talented woman and I love you very much!!! Love and miss you, Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work, Nichole. And I think this portrait shown in this blog entry is perhaps one of your strongest to date, capturing the overall spirit of dignity, alertness, and long years of experience behind those eyes.

    Keep up the great work. Love ya.

    U

    ReplyDelete