Monday, February 22, 2010

My Time Machine

In case you didn't know, I work from photographs whenever I paint a portrait. The more photographs, the better. You have no idea how a person's facial expression at that moment can play a large part. I choose the best, and sometimes combine a few photos for a single subject. Occasionally, I have to make changes myself. My latest portrait fell under this category. I received 4 photos. The challenge? They were dated. As in, 1970s, dated. I had to bring the subject, who had deceased, to the 21st century.

Most of the original photos I received had the subject with a beard. My client requested no beard. The subject had an afro. My client requested a shorter haircut. And I had to update the clothing. For this painting, I was basically doing a makeover. I love makeovers!! After getting all the info needed, and picking the best photo, the painting began. My client loved the end results and put it in a place of honor! What do you think?

10 comments:

  1. Givens1:14 PM

    Nichole, I LIKE it very much. You capture the essence of the photo. You are very good. ceg

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is a pretty awesome rework from a photo! wonderful likeness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you really caught the twinkle in his eyes, excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work! Love the short look. :)

    Thanks for dropping by my blog earlier too!

    God Bless
    Alice

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you did an awesome job of capturing that smile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing job and it must have felt like such an honor and an homage. Beautiful.
    http://pamsointoit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is absolutely fantastic. You even gave the guy a hair cut. I also love the color of the necktie, it matches very well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG - it's awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous1:23 PM

    !! That must have been a super challenge making sure the dated photos you had would work to bring the person up to date. (Did that make sense?)~

    I love the final! Great work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is great! You really updated the hairstyle without losing the feel of the original photo. I'm impressed. :)

    ReplyDelete